StartXchange

Welcome , You have 0 Private Messages!

03-21-11, 04:39 PM Thanks!

0 Active Level
0 Posts
0 Thanks
Lessons From The Dog
By Dave Balch, "The Stay-at-Home CEO(tm)"

Simone is one of our beloved dogs, a black standard poodle. She weighs about 53 pounds and is as smart a dog as I've ever known. Part of her job, being a dog and all, is going in the car whenever she possibly can. In fact, she likes to hang out in the car, sleeping in the back seat while it's parked in the garage in the hopes that she will "get lucky" and we'll drive off and take her with us.

Right there, you have a lesson in persistence and positive thinking!

The other day I went to the dentist in our two-seater sports car and she came along for the ride. She stands in the passenger seat, rear-end firmly planted against the chair-back, supporting her weight on her front legs, which rest on the front of the seat bottom. Living in the mountains as we do, all of the roads are a series of curves; we consider a "straightaway" to be any stretch of road that goes longer than 100 yards without a bend.

So off we go, Simone and I, riding the curvy roads on a beautiful day. As you know, when you enter a bend in the road centrifugal force tends to throw you to one side of the car or the other, which would be a problem for a dog standing in a soft automobile seat.

But not Simone. She stands there, watching the road ahead very intently. As we approach a turn, she leans in the direction of the turn so as to counter-balaqnce the centrifugal force, thereby, keeping her comfortable position in the seat. Actually, it would be more accurate to say that she throws herself into the lean.

I'm driving along trying to watch this dog throwing herself one way or the other before we even enter the turn, laughing out loud and trying to keep one eye on the road. She was so deep in concentration that she was oblivious to me. Then it hit me. She is adapting to her circumstances.

She is watching the road ahead, anticipating a change in her situation, planning a course of action, and then executing it when the change occurs. A curve to the right, then to the left, another left, two more rights; it doesn't matter. She never loses her balance because she is keeping her eye on the road.

Pretty smart, huh?

Are you watching the road ahead of your business?

Are you anticipating changes based on what you see, and then acting accordingly?

What kinds of changes should you look for?

How about new laws?

What if they decide to impose a new tax on what you do?

Are you prepared to calculate it, invoice it, collect it, account for it, pay it and report it?

What if there are new licensing fees or restrictions on the type of business you can run from your home?

Are you prepared to change how you run your business, or at least change how you describe how you run your business so you will be in compliance?

The economy is another good place to watch.

Will consumer spending habits affect your business? Perhaps it will affect other businesses that are your customers.

If people are losing their jobs, will they need your product or service less or more?

Are you prepared for either?

How about the competition?

If they come out with a new product or service, will you be able to respond competitively?

Watch those curves in the road, and then throw yourself into a position to deal with what's coming. Simone knows how; now you do too.

------------------------------------------------
"Make More Money and Have More Fun" with your small business! Dave will show you how with his FREE newsletter, or his FREE 'Min-E-Seminar:' "Secrets of an Actual $5 Million Home Business."

Visit http://www.TheStayAtHomeCEO.com/art.htm to sign-up, for information on speaking services, or for copies of past articles and newsletters. Comments and/or questions are always welcome at 1 (800) 366-2347 or Dave@DaveBalch.com(c) Copyright 2002, Dave Balch. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
09-16-11, 01:11 PM Thanks!
leem

0 Active Level
82 Posts
293 Thanks
You Simone sounds a lot like our dog Jenny and our old dog Chelsea who
is no longer with us having lived a long 17 yrs. Chelsea once got into
the car and hide very low behind the seat because she knew I wasn't going
to take her with me. She stayed incognito for quite a while before
finally coming out when it was too far in the drive to turn back
and leave her at home. Smart dog! LOL
09-21-11, 02:29 AM Thanks!
inottonib

0 Active Level
21 Posts
50 Thanks
Those are some great lessons to learn - for everyone.

Wish our dog would ride in the car. She hates it.

Thanks so much for sharing your insights.

Toni Bringman
Explosive Traffic Viral Coop Ref Link http://explosivetraffic.net/?rid=2294
09-22-11, 08:20 AM Thanks!
margur2000

0 Active Level
33 Posts
31 Thanks
Dogs bring so much love and wisdom into our lives.
Click-Track-Profit (and have fun collecting badges on your road to success
GO COMMANDO: Command, control, cash in...
Build Your Downline the Easy Way
09-22-11, 10:00 AM Thanks!
frenchlily

0 Active Level
309 Posts
1,311 Thanks
Thank you so much for this. I learn from my dogs every day. I have two beautiful and smart pit bulls
09-22-11, 10:13 AM Thanks!
stealthmayhem

0 Active Level
26 Posts
41 Thanks
I do not have a dog, due to lack of space. I do not have the room to let him exercise properly. I do, however, have two ferrets. They are so funny and cute, but also inspirational.
10-22-11, 11:29 AM Thanks!
lmayer

0 Active Level
21 Posts
22 Thanks
Thanks for sharing Simone's wisdom. We have a miniature Dachshund named Linus who is our Chief Security Officer at the Box S Ranch! I learn something from him on a daily basis. I'm not sure, but I think he thinks he may be a cat ....
03-10-12, 02:14 PM Thanks!
littlejefe

0 Active Level
20 Posts
29 Thanks
Dogs bring so much love and wisdom into our lives.
03-11-12, 07:02 AM Thanks!
serenity0718

0 Active Level
28 Posts
15 Thanks
Thank you for sharing:) That is an awesome analogy not only for businesses or but for daily life as well. We should not live in fear or worry for tomorrow but we should be prepared for the bends ahead in our lives.
Check out my recommendations: http://adv.justbeenpaid.com/?r=serenity1971&s=splash3, http://trckrs.com/23031/, http://everycentcounts.blinkweb.com/

04-08-12, 10:48 PM Thanks!
nicknick90

0 Active Level
17 Posts
26 Thanks
I am a sucker for dogs, having my own ready sweet suck of a dog who at 75 pounds thinks he is a lap dog, so your story really impressed me. I love how you relate what the dog does to steps in business. Awesome post.

Nick
Nick Grimshawe
Get inspired today: http://beautifulsummermorning.com
06-06-12, 01:03 AM Thanks!
3fan8

0 Active Level
20 Posts
12 Thanks
thanks for sharing
07-12-13, 08:18 AM Thanks!
sankemkd

0 Active Level